Newcomers Happy Death Day 2U and Isn't It Romantic fall under expectations.
In its opening weekend, Alita: Battle Angel (#1) topped the list with $27.8 million. The film opened for the Valentine's Day holiday. In total, its final numbers,also accounting for th President's Day holiday, should be around $41 million.
Universal released Blumhouse's Happy Death Day 2U (#5), a holiday-themed horror sequel. Despite earning $9.8 million, which was more than its production budget, the film feel short of expectations. Outdoing it was Isn't It Romantic (#3), a new, romantic comedy starring Rebel Wilson. With $14.2 million, the film is expected to have a slow burn at the box office over the next few weeks.
Glass (#8) crossed $100 million this weekend. And, Aquaman (#12) crossed $331 million, pushing it past Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as the second-highest grossing DC Extended Universe release.
Next weekend, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World will open to over 4,000 theaters. Fighting with My Family (#32) will also open wide after having a brief, limited release this weekend.
TOP TEN: (bold signifies a new release)
1. ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL - $27.8 million
2. THE LEGO MOVIE 2: THE SECOND ACT - $21.215 million
3. ISN'T IT ROMANTIC - $14.2 million
4. WHAT MEN WANT - $10.92 million
5. HAPPY DEATH DAY 2U - $9.8 million
6. COLD PURSUIT - $6 million
7. THE UPSIDE - $5.5 million
8. GLASS - $3.85 million
9. THE PRODIGY - $3.15 million
10. GREEN BOOK - $2.75 million
All box office numbers provided by BoxOfficeMojo.com.